past exhibition
Greener Than Grass
Christina Mesiti and Natalie Smith
02.02.20 - 02.29.20

















Opening reception Sunday, February 2nd from 3-6pm. 
Gallery hours on Saturdays from 12-4pm and by appointment.

He seems to me equal to gods that man
whoever he is who opposite you
sits and listens close
to your sweet speaking


and lovely laughing–oh it
puts the heart in my chest on wings
for when I look at you, even a moment, no speaking
is left in me


no:tongue breaks and thin
fire is racing under skin
and in eyes no sight and drumming
fills ears


and cold sweat holds me and shaking
grips me all, greener than grass
I am and dead–or almost
I seem to me.


But all is to be dared, because even a person of poverty…

Sappho, Fragment 31




This exhibition presents an invitation to engage with swirling contingencies, paradoxes, and hypotheses about sacred space. When defined as a state of being, that which is sacred is bound up with the ways that the self can function both as an impediment and medium to sacredness. This show was organized around a series of conversations about Fra Angelico’s Annunciation. In this painting, a moment of an intangible mystery, represented through rays of light, is about to be made incarnate. Natalie Smith’s paintings in-the-round envelop the gallery in repeated self-portrait silhouettes based on cast shadows. An obelisk-like sculpture by Christina Mesiti emerges out of cast bodily forms, casting its own shadow onto the ground. Greener Than Grass confronts the implications of inescapable light, presence of being, and the images of the body that it creates.

Popular Posts